To the Totem Forests:
Emily Carr and Contemporaries Interpret Coastal Villages
The travelling exhibition was organized and circulated by the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria from August 1999 to August 2000. BC Hydro provided generous sponsorship. The on-line exhibition was produced by Industrial Art Internet Group Ltd. with funding provided by Industry Canada Digital Collections Programme.
To the Totem Forests has benefited greatly from the assistance from colleagues across Canada who have many differing connections to the artists and the subjects, all have assisted with their special knowledge and expertise.
We are most grateful to the following institutions and colleagues:
- Art Gallery of Greater Victoria: Jay Heins, Chris Russell, Ann Tighe, Jonathan Lathigee, Andrea Tuele, Nicholas Tuele
- Art Gallery of Ontario: Tim Hardacre, Anna Hudson
- British Columbia Archives: Gary Mitchell, Barry Byers, Fran Gundry, Derek Swallow
- British Columbia Heritage Branch: Jennifer Iredale
- Glenbow Museum and Archives: Daryl Betenia, Jim Bowman, Kirsten Evendon, Patricia Molesky
- Haida Gwaii Museum at Qay'llnagaay: Nathalie Macfarlane
- McMichael Canadian Collection: Sandy Cooke, Catherine Stewart
- National Gallery of Canada: Charles Hill, Carol Lapointe
- Royal British Columbia Museum: Susan Hasbury, Alan Hoover, Olive Quayle, Dan Savard, Frederika Verspoor
- Sitka Historical Society/Isabel Miller Museum: Dr. Orriene First Denslow, Paul Oehler
- United Church Archives: Bob Stewart, Alex Thomson
- Vancouver Art Gallery: Bill Jeffries, Nancy Kirkpatrick, Cheryl Meszaros, Ann Pollock and Ian Thom
We also thank a number of people who lent expertise, wisdom and guidance: Mary Phillips Adamson, Lucille Bell, Roger Boulet, Bill Cranmer, Doug Cranmer, Captain Gold, Guujaaw, Ron Hamilton, Bill Holm, George Hunt, Lorraine Hunt, Jerry Jack, Robert Joseph, Peter Knox, Bill Mackay, Jim Manly, Susan Marsden, Henry Seaweed, Neil Sterritt, Saeko Usukawa, Bill Wasden, Gloria Cranmer Webster and Glen Williams.
Peter Macnair and Jay Stewart
August 10, 1999
Back to Introduction to Site